Dental Health Community
Dental Health

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Dental Health

I have had a severe infection in my upper right jaw, for the last 15 years.  It is so bad now, that even when it doesn't flare up, my throat still swells up.  2 days ago, it flared, and I am having severe pain not only in my jaw, but in my throat and chest......it's bleeding very heavily, and there's not much I can do for the pain, especially in my chest.....I have been diagnosed with emphysima, and I'm concerned with lung infections.  Over the years, the infection has spread to my sinuses, and my head also.   Should I go to the ER, or try to see a Dentist......our insurance is very expensive, but does not do much for dental, otherwise I would not be this sick right now.....please help.
Avatar dr f tn
Hi there,
A clinical examination is very important for confirming the cause. Bleeding from the gums can be due to canker sores, receding gums, periodontal infection or periodontal disease, or other cause. Throat pain can be seen in tonsillitis, pharyngitis etc.Chest pain can be due to lung infections, asthma, pneumonia, bronchitis, costochondritis etc.These are only few possibilities. A complete clinical examination and work up based on the clinical findings is essential for correct diagnosis and management. I hope it helps.
Best wishes and regards!