Dental Health Expert Forum
Dental Implant - Painful red bump

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Dental Implant - Painful red bump

I was born without lateral incisors and had dental implants done for both June of 2006. I have not had them unconvered yet so they have just been sitting osteointegrating. I have never had any sensitivity or pain on the left side but the right has always felt off. Off and on, when I sneezed it would sometimes hurt just below my nose on the right side. I felt pressure on my right front and canine teeth. Just a few days ago, I began to experience pain externally on my gum where the implant is, and externally on my face and below my nose. The pain has gotten worse over the past few days and I can now feel pressure even when I smile big. There is a large pea size red bump above my canine tooth on the right. My dentist precribed antibiotics but I'm worried that the implant is being rejected or some other larger problem.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Was there any thought that one or both of the adjacent teeth may need root canal therapy.I would think it would be a good idea if an x-ray is taken and the vitality of the teeth are checked.
the oral surgeon or other dentst who placd the fixtures should take films and evaluate the issue. If u are not satisfied with the answer you get, get an opinion from an ORAL SURGEON who places alot of implants. The last thing you want is to let an implant related problem go untreated. Your narrative certainly makes me feel like somethng imay be awry--  trust your insticts.
It was my maxillo facial surgeon who prescribed the antibiotics and I have been on them for 2 full days. The bump has become more concentrated and larger and looks as if (like a pimple) it is going to pop. Do you think it needs to be drained or should I let it come to a head on its own? If it does pop/break open, what should I do?
it may or may not pop-- the important question is where is it coming from?