Dental Health Expert Forum
Dental Implant pain

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Dental Implant pain

Sorry this is long.  Over a month ago I got a molar on top extracted, it had a root canal and a crown which was botched. Anyway I had bone grafting after that tooth was pulled. I healed fine except I now have a small lump close to the TMJ that won't go away, that's probably another question. Then a few days ago, I had a sinus lift and the dental implant placed.  After the anesthesia wore off, the pain was excruciating but later got better as the day wore on.  The next morning I woke up and the pain was still bearable.  At this point I haven't even taken any pain meds.  Anyway later that day(after the implant), the pain came back with a vengeance. Throbbing. Excruciating! I went back the following morning to be evaluated.  The doctor took an x-ray and examined the site but said it looks fine and that the pain was normal and that everyone has a different experience w/ implants. Though everywhere I looked it seemed it's not normal.  Also I am not sure if I have a cold now or allergy but I had started getting this runny nose the day after the implant. Anyway my question is, is it normal to feel this throbbing pain?  It goes away but not completely even with Vicodin.  The doctor suggested Sudafed, I tried that too and that helped.  I'm wondering if something is wrong w/ the sinus now?  Or maybe the cold is making this experience worse for me?   I am already on antibiotics, Doxycycline. Is it possible a nerve was pinched? Doctor said the sinus was was punctured.  Please help, I am really in agony. I don't want to keep taking Vicodin.  Thank you very much!
You would need to consult with your dentist unfortunately.  Did you get the sinus lift and the implant placed on the same day?  Perforation of the sinus is okay if its not too deep from my understanding.

You may want to ask the oral surgeon in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery section of medhelp.org.  The oral surgeon may provide more insight into the matter as I don't place implants.
Thank you for your reply. Yes I received the sinus lift and the implant at the same time.  Thanks for your advice, can I just repost the same question to the other forum? I hope that's ok.