Dental Health Expert Forum
Dental Pins

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Dental Pins
I do not mean to ask a stupid question, but are dental (retentive) pins still used in dentistry (i.e. in the rebuilding of a tooth and the placement of a crown)?  Is this technique outdated or is it still practical?
I would say that no one really uses dental pins anymore.  I am a recent graduate (graduated in 2006) and we only learned the concept of pins but never used them.  Sometimes these pins can be misplaced and cause the need for a root canal.  I did use a few during residency (as the director was older and was comfortable with it).  I'm sure it still has its uses if necessary but with today's modern core buildups, pins are as necessary for retention anymore.

My bruxism damaged teeth are too short to be capped.  I heard in the grape vine in my city that there is this prosthodontist that "lengthens" short teeth with retentive pins before he caps them.

So, would it be too unusual for a prosthodontist to use retentive pins?
That's a good question.  I wouldn't say its unusual if the prosthodontist is a little bit older.  He's using techniques which he's familiar with and has probably practice 100s if not 1000s of times in his career.  Whats most important is the result and as long as his reputation is good results and he's a nice, friendly, easy going doctor, I would say that its not a bad idea to get a consultation and specifically address your concerns.

I hav my two front teeth broked off when I fell from my motor scooter a couple years ago.  The dentist did fix them and he said I had to have pins to "hold them up"  They have helded up very well, but those pins have made my teeth look very gray in them.  I asked the dentist but he said that is just from the pins.  He is also maybe an older dentist, and I think is from a Pakastan or a place in that area.  His teeth also look the same as mine, so maybe this is also how they are taut over in some of those countries.  I have spoked to an american dentist and he has said that maybe a dentur? would be best due to my "sick gums"  but he said that the pins are sometimes need due to relly bad tooth breaking