Dental Health Expert Forum
Dental implant rejection

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Dental implant rejection
I recieved a extraction and imediate dental implant about a month ago. I experienced servere throbbing pain for weeks then the pain went away. The implant then came loose and needed removed about a month after it was put in. I just had it taken out four days ago and the used a bone grapt to fill in the hole. I now am experienceing the same throbbing pain as i did with the implant in. Can my body reject the bone graft? Why do I have so much pain?
Its possible I suppose to have a rejection of the bone graft unless its an autogenous bone graft, which is a bone graft from your own bone.  In that case, it'd be weird to reject your own self.  You may be experiencing pain from the surgery itself.  I would recommend contacting your dentist to let him know.  If it was a rejection, I would imagine you would have a chronic irritation in the area that won't go away as the body tries to "fight" off what is there.