Dental infection between root and gum
About three months ago I had root cavity treatment followed by a crown placed (on a molar).  Since I had the crown I have sometimes had a little aching in the tooth the day after I have bitten on something hard, but other than this no real problems.  A couple of weeks ago the gum around the tooth became sore and this week a small (about 2-3mm in diameter) abscess formed.  This abscess then burst but another formed (and then also burst).  Today I went to my dentist who told me there was an infection between two roots of the tooth and cleaned out the gum and treated it with medication.  She also told me that if this treatment did not work then the tooth would have to be extracted.  Could you advise me if extraction would really be the only option as it seems a very drastic step.  Also the dentist did not take an x-ray so I wondering how she can be sure that this is the problem.
Thank you.
1. the dentist should have taken a film.
2. I'd see a periodontist (gum specialist) before allowing the tooth to be extracted. Sometimes they can do certain procedures to help save teeth.
Thanks for the reply.  I have been back to my dentist and have had an x-ray taken, which confirmed the problem.  I will make sure that I see a peridontist before allowing extraction of the tooth.