Dental Health Community
Dentist help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Dentist help

I've recently been obsessing over my teeth. I went to the dentist about 7 months ago and he said everything looked good. But in the last month I've had two little chips in different teeth and am now worried that my gums are receeding. They look healthy and feel fine. I take pretty good care of them, too but there's a few that just seem like they aren't tight to the tooth. They can move back a little when I touch them. I have an appointment in a month but I am wondering can my teeth change so drastically that my dentist would have seen no signs?
Hi Mallory, receding gums is part of aging and can start at any time even since you last dentist appointment. Try to use a softer toothbrush and when flossing try not to pull down to much.
Your dentist can do some cosmetics and fill in the receding areas with tooth filler so you can notice it anymore.
You may be grinding your teeth at night which can cause chipping, but your dentist can make you a mouthpiece to wear while sleeping to prevent this.  Gums do recede more with age but also if you're not brushing and flossing thoroughly...but very gently and with a soft toothbrush.  Always be gentle with your gums and don't be pulling on them or you may create pockets where food can gather and causes plaque...which causes the gums to recede.  I hope this helps and take care.