Dental Health Expert Forum
Denture Problem

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Denture Problem

I have had a full upper denture for about 6 months. I recently had them relined and they are thicker now but they fit really good. My problem is that after I have them in a few hours they feel like they get bigger and bigger and I end up panicing and gagging until I take them out.  This problem is really bothering me. My dentist says I just may be a "gagger" and the only other option is an implant denture which I'm not sure I can afford. Can you offer any advice?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
My question is whether this feeling of gagging occurred  just  after the denture was relined. Why was the denture relined 6 months after it was made? Was it an immediate denture and if it was it might be necessay to make a new one.
of course they cannot grow and i know you know this but after a reline they do become thicker. if your dentist doesnt want to thin the acrylic (could cause a poor fit again) you will have to get used to it. if you take them out too much everyday then it will take forever (if ever) to get used to them. honestly the gag reflex is quite psychological and i wish you the best in trying to make it work. the implant denture is great because they can thin the denture and it locks in place-BUT you still have to get used to the foriegn object. good luck you just have to give it time.
when a denture is relined, it becomes thicker because material is added to the inner side. if it is now too thick for comfort, you should show your dentist where it is thick on the OUTSIDE (the part that you can touch with your tongue) and ask him to send it back to THE LAB that made it and have them thin it out. Remember-- insist that the LAB do it-- they have more time and better acrylic trimming equipment. (You can even mark the area with a magic marker). If that fails, you can always have a new one made with an almost paper thin METAL palate-- although you'll probably have to pay for it.
For those who wear dentures or partials, there is a rebate offer for that new foam denture cleanser, Polident fresh cleanse at www.MyDentureCare.com. You use it with a toothbrush and it keeps your breath feeling fresh for up to 5 hours. There is even a sweepstakes you can enter to win a vacation to a mysterious
i got top teeth pulled on oct 11th. and botom ones pulled on oct 30th. since them i have had lil pieces of bone fragment come out my gums and i helped them out, but i haveone on upper right that just wont come ot and allow the gum to heal, i thin kit is larger, will this work out or will i have to go in to have it removed?
A related discussion, gagging on upper denture was started.
A related discussion, Marksteven was started.