Dental Health Expert Forum
Dentures, bone graft before implant, bridge

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Please, answer me, if you know.:) I was told I need a bone graft after a complicated extraction of the tooth under a maxillary sinus, and then an
Implant there. Right now there is a hole, and the healing is very slow. Can I put a permanent bridge, because, I think, a temporary will fell down as soon as I start to chew food, and then a bone graft will be done through a gum above that permanent bridge? I would appreciate you share your opinions.
What is the long term treatment for that area?

If you plan to do an implant, a sinus lift or bone graft may be needed to place the implant as it needs bone to be stable and usable in the mouth.

If there's sufficient tooth structure adjacent to the missing tooth, a bridge may be done as well which wouldn't require a bone graft as there's no implant to place.  

I would recommend discussing with your dentist for your best option. Based upon your description, I would opt for the implant as it keeps the other two teeth needed for a bridge untouched and keeps the teeth separate.  Cleaning of the area will also be easier with an implant versus a bridge
Any answers, please?
Thanks for reply. I do understand I might need the implant, but it's too much time to wear a temporary bridge. I am working full time, and all the time people are around me. It will fell down during unexpected time.  Can you tell me, please, can bone graft is done without the bridge taken out? Through the gum, lingual surface?
That I'm not sure about.  Most likely not.

So right now is there just a space where the tooth use to be?  Or is there something in that space now?
There is nothing. I don't know what to do. Temporary bridge or permanent.
Well, eventually everything will have to be permanent.

I'm not sure why you feel there's a temporary or a permanent option.
Do not get the bridge.  I just lost one after 30 years and it took out two  teeth.  They are impossible to clean out and even hygienists have trouble with them.  Now I need 2 implants and bone grafting in areas around the implant area.  Do not delay.  If you wait to long you need more bone and it's more expensive.