Dental Health Expert Forum
Dentures as Natural as Possible?

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Dentures as Natural as Possible?

After reading some of the posts here, I am glad my dentist and oral surgeon are good!

That said, even though my immediate upper denture (all teeth pulled on 10/19/2006, but bottom front 6) has served me well for a week now. I know it's going to take time to get used to eating and talking again. No biggie. I stuttered as a child and over came that, so this should be a breeze ;-)

My questions are:

1. Since it still have my lower 6 teeth, I prefer to wear my dentures 24/7 (I use that 5 minute cleaner each day while a shower) as I am afraid the bottom 6 will find their way into the surgery site of the top gum during my sleep. Is this healthy in the long run? The ADA site wasn't very clear, but they didn't make it totally sound bad. Saying taking them out "promotes health". Whatever that means!

2. What is the best upper denture I can get? Is implant denture (I can have 4 post, but not 6 without major surgery) best or as someone mentioned here a metal pallet being better than an acrylic one. Which is better, are there more choices out side of full implants (too cost prohibitive).

Thank you for your time!!!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
The first question first--your lower teeth will not erupt into your upper jaw if you do not have the upper denture in at night. That being said there is no problem sleeping with the denture, but I do suggest you leave the denture out sometime during the day that is comfortable for you. It is healthy for the tissue. The second question second--if you can not afford implants there really is no other alternative than the upper denture. I do not think a metal palate is any better than an acrylic one unless you are fracturing the denture.
metal palate feels most natural. implants (as many as you can get or afford) are the best way to have good retention.