Dental Health Expert Forum
Difference between abcess(abscess) and infected root

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Is there a difference between an abcess (abscess) and an infection in the root?  I visited my dentist last Thurs. and he said I have an infected root.  He wasn't sure, though, if it was caused by an infected sinus cavity very close to the root.  He prescribed Amoxicillan, and after taking only 2 that evening, all of the severe pain in my tooth and jaw were gone within a few hours.  I mean this is a tooth that I couldn't even touch with my tongue that day, it hurt so bad.   Can antibiotics work that quickly?

Thank you.    
Avatar_dr_m_tn
An abcess (abscess) is indicated by clinical symptoms, swelling,purulence,temperature etc. If the root is infected then I would think you need root canal therapy--a tooth can be sensitive to biting if it is near the sinus and the sinus is inflamed. These are two totally different conditions with different treatments. I can not tell which one without examining you.Ask your dentist if the nerve of your tooth is dead, in that case you would need root canal treatment.
they can work quickly. an abcess (abscess) does not have to be around a root. the words "infected root" however, to meimply that there is a dental relatedabcess aound the root of a tooth. I would ask your dentist for clarification. a root canal specialist would be best qualified to tell you if the infection (abcess (abscess)) is coming fom the tooth (most likely, especially if there is a deep filling, decay or a previously done root canal in the tooth) or from the sinus.