Dental Health Expert Forum
Different sized front baby teeth

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Different sized front baby teeth

My granddaughter just recently erupted her first tooth. Now one is erupting right next to it and it is twice as wide as the first one. They are the two front bottom teeth. Is this okay?
Should be fine for now.  I would keep an eye on it and see how they look when they're erupted out.  
They both have erupted and sure enough, one is wider than the other, with a little dent across the top of the larger tooth. Will her permenant teeth be this way?
It probably wouldn't affect her adult teeth but I would take her to a pediatric dentist (specialist) to get the teeth checked out.  Although I don't think this is the case, a notched tooth could be indicative of congenital syphillis (syphilis) although I'm assuming she's very young and highly unlikely but its good to get it checked.  But usually all the teeth are notched I believe.  They're referred to as Hutchinson's teeth.
It's doubtful that uneven baby teeth will cause complications with her adult teeth but it is worth keeping an eye on it, just for peace of mind. That said, if you're still concerned about it, there isn't any harm in taking her to a pediatric dentist to have a look. As an added piece of advice, because most people don't already know this, the new recommendation is to have children in for their first orthodontic consultation no later than age 7. If she has teeth that are growing in unevenly, corrections may be necessary later on. We brought our daughter in for a consultation when she was five (just so they could get a good look at her mouth, etc) to our orthodontist (http://www.fryorthodontics.com/offices/orthodontist_lenexa/) and it was really beneficial to us, as parents. Good luck!