Difficult to open mouth after Dental Work
I have had a heck of a time the last two weeks. Making a long story short in a two week period I ended up having 2 extracts on the lower right side. I have had three rounds of injections in the mandibular joint. I have a stiff jaw, hard to open wide enough to eat, sore but no visible swelling. Back in the 80's I was a chairside assistant and seem to remember something about gently chewing gum to exercise th e joint and get it to loosen. Is this still ok? How long can I expect it to take for my jaw to loosen up enough to eat with out difficulty?
Been there!  Had three wisdom teeth done at one time.  I did what was finally suggested and chewed gum and applied warm compresses to the side of my jaw at the angle.

My mouth would only open about 1/4" for over a month!  After being told, chewing gum and compresses helped alot.  Wished someone had told me sooner!  It was a pizza and liquid diet for longer than I wanted!  LOL

Good luck.  Chew sugarless and try some rice placed in a thin sock that you can heat in the microwave about 1 minute.  It really holds the heat.  

Best of luck and best to you,
Gellia
Thanks Gellia, I just wanted to make sure that I was doing the right thing. Of course I want instant gratification. I dont like this soft and liquid thing much. :)
I am trying to open my mouth wider then 10cm after having an extraction of my right wisdom tooth help me I have an appointment on the 20th and I'm trying to fit at least 3 fingers vertical in my mouth what can U recommend that isn't to painful and will help me more