Aa
A
A
Close
Difficult to open mouth after Dental Work
I have had a heck of a time the last two weeks. Making a long story short in a two week period I ended up having 2 extracts on the lower right side. I have had three rounds of injections in the mandibular joint. I have a stiff jaw, hard to open wide enough to eat, sore but no visible swelling. Back in the 80's I was a chairside assistant and seem to remember something about gently chewing gum to exercise th e joint and get it to loosen. Is this still ok? How long can I expect it to take for my jaw to loosen up enough to eat with out difficulty?
Cancel
3 Answers
Page 1 of 1
Been there!  Had three wisdom teeth done at one time.  I did what was finally suggested and chewed gum and applied warm compresses to the side of my jaw at the angle.

My mouth would only open about 1/4" for over a month!  After being told, chewing gum and compresses helped alot.  Wished someone had told me sooner!  It was a pizza and liquid diet for longer than I wanted!  LOL

Good luck.  Chew sugarless and try some rice placed in a thin sock that you can heat in the microwave about 1 minute.  It really holds the heat.  

Best of luck and best to you,
Gellia
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Thanks Gellia, I just wanted to make sure that I was doing the right thing. Of course I want instant gratification. I dont like this soft and liquid thing much. :)
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
I am trying to open my mouth wider then 10cm after having an extraction of my right wisdom tooth help me I have an appointment on the 20th and I'm trying to fit at least 3 fingers vertical in my mouth what can U recommend that isn't to painful and will help me more
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dental Health Community Resources