Dental Health Expert Forum
Discomfort in molar

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Discomfort in molar

My wife had a root canal on a right upper molar years ago. A dentist redid the crown (where there was a horrible odor underneath), but neither he nor other dentists can determine why she has discomfort when she chews certain things or has things like lemon juice or other items hit that are on that side. She thinks it's the tooth next to the crown, but the dentists cannot figure out the problem (even with Xrays), whether it may be a cavity in that next tooth, an infection in the root canal, a nerve, or what one dentist suggested -- that the filling in that next tooth is old and is pressing on a nerve.

He told me I may have the same problem, and filed down the filling some. It helped me for a while, but I too have discomfort (not actual pain) when I chew on that molar area.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I can not give you any advice. The symptoms are too vague and without seeing you it would be one big guess. I have no idea what is going on with you, as far as your wife is concerned, I hope the dentist pulped tested the tooth to check the vitality o9f the nerve.
silver amalgam fillings corrode over time and actually expand in teeth, creating micro or sometimes macro fractures. i doubt lemon juice is causing pain in a tooth that already had root canal--- especially adfter so many years of being fine. it is probably another tooth with root exposure, decay, a fracture, or an old filling that has simply overstayed its welcome. not all dental problems are diagnosable on an xray.
In my own personal case, I only feel it if I bite down too hard on the molar. It's not really pain, just sensitivity.
could be a fracture in the tooth, which, again, may not be visible on a film---