Dental Health Expert Forum
Do I have dry socket?

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Do I have dry socket?

I had all four wisdom teeth pulled on 3/10/06.  The dentist packed them and sent me home.  I had the packs removed on the following Tuesday and opted to not have new ones.  Wednesday morning I woke up with a mingraine, ache in my right socket and EXTREME sensitivity to hot and cold.  Instant shock when it is touched my hot or cold and when I clean them with the syringe they gave me.  Also when I breathe in the cold air it is extremely painful.  My headaches just got worst and so I went to the emergency room on Saturday (3/18) and they IV'd me and took a CT of my head.  The determined that everthing was great as far as sinuses and stuff like that.  I felt better with all of the drugs they pumped me with but later that night it my headache came back and socket pain and sensitivity continued.  My dentist sent me home with some gauze and so I covered my sockets with it and have made an appointment with my dentist first thing in the morning.  

Does that sound like dry socket?  Is there anything I can do in the mean time to help the pain subside?  

Thanks in advance...
Avatar_dr_m_tn
The sensitivity maybe from the roots of the adjacent teeth being exposed during the extractions. Those areas can be extremely sensitve and may stay that way for a long time. You should also check for any decay on these teeth.I don't know the reason for your headaches. Dry sockets usually starts 2 to 3 days  post extractions and the patient has acute pain that is persistent with referred pain iinto the ears. The dry socket is more common on the lower and we do not know the cause. A strong analgesic is the best advice I can give you at this time until you see your dentist.
I was wondering the same thing....I got my upper and bottom right wisdom teeth taken out on Monday...my bottom extraction site is open, and food keeps getting in it. I thought the clostwas supposed to go over the hole? It hurts, but not as bad as everyone said it should...but I have a high tolerance for pain, so I don't know. I also have a bad taste in my mouth, but I'm not sure if it's maybe a dry socket, or it is the hydogen peroxide mouthwash I have been using since yesterday. Does anyone know what this looks like, so I can compare??? I have the left side scheduled for next Monday, and i don't want to keep the appt. if there is a problem. Help!!!
I had my wisdom teeth taken out on Friday 5-5-06. On Monday the bleeding on the bottom extraction had not stopped. My dentist told me to stop putting the gauze on it and let the bleeding clot and to sleep slightly upright. I did that and a clot formed and the bleeding has stop. In that area every so often their is a dull pain and the clot is starting to get smaller. But thereis is also a bad taste in my mouth. Is the dull pain normal at this point. Can I have a dry socket? I am not due to go back to my dentist until Monday.