Dental Health Expert Forum
Does the hole in my gums after wisdom tooth extraction heal alone??

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Hello, I had my wisdom tooth extracted 10 days ago. I went to my doctor to cut the stitches (4) and he found out that they were all broken. There is a huge hole in my gums about 1cm wide and 1,5cm length from were I can see the bone (It starts under the existing tooth). It is really painful when cold water goes there. I am still in medication (antibiotics) because I am a bit swollen on the face. My doctor decided not to stitch the gums but he suggested to wash my mouth and the gums carefully after every meal with Plak out and that it will heal alone. Is that possible? How big has to be a hole in order not to heal by itself?
I'm not sure how big a hole is too big.  I would say that you should be able to heal fairly well but it may take some time to overcome the pain and discomfort in the area.