Dental Health Expert Forum
Dry Mouth

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Dry Mouth
Hi ,
I am a 22 year old woman. My problem is that for the last three days I have been experiencing extremly dry mouth. I am not on any kind of medication and my period started two days after the problem started, is it due to my periods? I should state here that I havenot experienced any thing of this kind before.
Thank you.
I've never heard of a period causing dry mouth so I don't think that's it.

Any allergies or cold/flu symptoms?  Sometimes with nasal congestion, we tend to breath with our mouths more than our noses and they can result in a dry mouth.  

No I don't have flu/cold .Can it be caused by something in my diet?
Possibly with diet.  But it would be more obvious such as eating really salty foods or dry foods (crackers, etc).  

Any other habits such as smoking, drinking alcohol, use of mouthwash with alcohol in it, etc?

Thanks a bunch. I would definitely watch out for these culprits in my diet. And no I don't drink and smoke either so most probably it must be because of something in my diet.
Well keep an eye on it.  Otherwise, you may want to see your dentist or primary care physician if it doesn't get any better

Sip water or other sugar-free juices frequently. It is particularly important to drink often while eating. This will aid chewing and swallowing and may enhance the taste of your food. You can carry a water bottle, like bicycle riders do, during the day and keep a glass of water at your bedside at night. Also, use a humidifier to increase the moisture content of the air in your room.
wwww