Dental Health Expert Forum
Dry Socket Help!

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Dry Socket Help!

Recently had 5 front teeth extracted and immediate denture placed.  Three days ago had to go back to dentist and he diagnosed two dry sockets where the incisors had been.  They were very difficult extractions!  When I returned to see him in severe pain he refroze my mouth and scraped the bone in both sockets to initiate mild bleeding and then put medicated dressing in both sockets.  I felt instant relief from the pain and the medicated packing was left in for approx. 72 hours.  I then returned and he removed the packing and told me to rinse very gently with a syringe and warm salt water.  The packing was removed last night and this morning I still have a dull ache in one of the sockets.  Is this normal?  It is nothing like the pain I had before it was treated but it does still ache enough that Advil calms it down.  Am I ok to do the salt water rinsed gently in these sockets and how long before I start to feel better and won't need to take pain meds?  I am not a pill taker so I really don't like taking all of this medication.  He also put me on antibiotic (Penicillin) for 6 days just in case there may be a bit of infection.  Any advise??????  Thank you for your help.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Sounds like your dentist did the right thing.  It should get better and improve every day.  Any problems, it would be best to have your dentist look again.
i got my tooth out 6 days ago and it was hurting from the time my freezing came out.
i thought it was cause he had to twist and tug and drill to get it out
i DO NOT  smoke or drink hot beverages and have been following instructions except for the gargling with salt water and i still got it.
i went to the dr today and he put a herbal plant type thing in my hole and it tastes like nutmeg ( i hate nutmeg) and i have been dealing with that yucky taste in my mouth all day and he said it will fall out in a couple day ( not soon enough with this taste).
my friend said that he dr just made hers bleed again and then try to clot it again...wonder if it would have been better then what mine did.
I had my tooth out last week and have had an aching pain, i went to the dentist today and he put ome sort of packing in it, it tastes loike herbs and is horrible!! will i have to go back and have it removed or will it fall out naturally? can i eat on it? can i drink alcohol?! and when it falls out will i have to go back and have it looked at? didnt get alot of info of my dentist
A related discussion, Drank through a tiny straw after stitches extracted was started.