Dental Health Expert Forum
Dry Socket and Tooth Pain

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Dry Socket and Tooth Pain

I had a tooth pulled almost 2 weeks ago (dentist assumed the tooth was dead and decided to pull it). I developed a dry socket and have been packing it for almost 10 days now. The pain is still pretty bad, but it seems to be healing slowly. Besides that excruciating pain, I have started to have extreme pain in the tooth next to the extraction. I had a lower left side molar pulled, and the tooth behind it is in pain, and there is a wisdom tooth behind that. Is this pain caused by my teeth moving now that there is space? Is it residual pain from the dry socket or the trauma of having a tooth pulled? It is a constant pulsing pain made worse by pressure, and it hurts even more when I sneeze. It also is constantly hitting my top row of teeth and causing pain. I have already seen a dentist and an oral surgeon.. they tell me its nothing and to keep packing my dry socket. Any help/suggestions/ideas would be appreciated. My dentist is on vacation for 2 weeks, and I plan to have him file the tooth when he gets back (to prevent it from hitting top teeth)
Its probably not pain from the movement of the teeth.  It may be sensitive due to the trauma of the area and possibly to the tooth next to it during the extraction.  Unfortunately with dry socket, there's no way to improve the healing time of it.  Packing the socket and allowing it to heal on its own is the only option.  

Are you on pain meds as well?
A related discussion, Need help was started.
A related discussion, Tooth Pain was started.