Dental Health Community
Dry Socket pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Dry Socket pain

How long does dry socket pain last?  Is it necessary to get the socket packed?  i had a doctor who suggested I get the socket packed, but after considering how rough he was initially with extracting my wisdom tooth, i cried and said no to the packing.  he then suggested that i use the prescribed mouthwash to flush the socket out.  How long will it take to heal?  I  am in excruciating pain.  This is a mess.  what should i do?  I wake up every 2 hours at night.  I have an 15 month old baby.  I am in constant pain and i don't want to hear any noise.  I feel like I shopuld have never had the tooth pulled.
hi.. found this website..  http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dry-socket/DS00778/DSECTION=8
maybe you should try another dentist? hope it helps..
Thanks for the info.
You can take 800 mg of ibuprofem 4 times a day, even if you're taking pain medicine.  Other than that, just keep using the mouthwash, especially after you eat, to make sure it stays clean.  The packing wouldn't have made the socket heal up any quicker, it just would have made it not hurt while it was in there.  So, don't feel like you made the wrong decision there.  I know it sucks, but it just takes time.
hi I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth cut out at the same time and I am a smoker and have a really bad habit of sucking on my gums and of course I ended up with dry socket I done everything took ibuprofem almost 6 times a day done the mouthwash thing which seemed like it made it hurt even worse. after almost two weeks of this unbearable pain I went back to my doctor and told him what I was doing was not helping he put the packs in and told me to come back in a week I could tell a big difference that night I accuatly slept through the night. I went back and he put in the dissovleable packs in and since then I have had no pain so I suggest that you should go back to your doc.  cause a person can only take so much pain  
I found your info about dry socket pain very very helpful. I had my right upper and lower wisdom teeth taken out on tuesday, ans come thursday i started having very terrible pain. i took the hydrocodone prescribed by my dentist, and once the med wears off the pain is back. It seemed i gave my peace away when i had the extractions. My husband felt so sorry for me he had to call my dentist, who said it was normal to have some pains for a while due to the surgery, but from all indications i am pretty almost certain that i have dry socket. The pain is just unbearable, and i can hardly sleep. It made me feel better though to know that there have been other people who had similar symptoms, and found helpful solutions. Come monday if the pain still persists, i will be at the dentists office for a dry socket filling, like u said once can only suffer so much pain.