Dental Health Community
Dry Socket

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Dry Socket

I posted a question on July 1. Since that time, the pain within the dry socket has progessivlely gotten more tolerable. Now I am having discomfort in the gum area surrounding the socket. I can visibly see that the socket is starting to look smaller.  I went to a followup appoinment with my oral surgeon a few days ago and he said that the socket was healing very well and that the tenderness and inflamation (inflammation) was part of the normal healing process and I have no infection.   Has anyone who has experienced a dry socket had this occur during the healing process?  It seems as if a dry socket goes through various stages of healing.

If JoTown is out there, please let me hear from you. You were so helpful to me.
JoTown, your comments were so helpful to me.  Since our condition seemed to run paralle, would like to know if you experienced these same symtoms (symptoms).
Thanks,
Veronica
I had 4 wisdom teeth extracted on April 16th. Had I known the pain I would be in I would have just had filings instead of extracting. It took the dentist 3 1/2 hours to extract my erupted teeth. Maybe for my age they were just difficult to pull. I had to be numbed numerous times. By the 3rd day after I was NOT eating or drinking and severely nauseous. Do to dry heaving I ended up with a dry socket.  By day five the pain was so severe that I was suicidal. On top of that I had"bone splinters"looking out of the roof of my mouth. Within 6 days I had lost 7 pounds. I ended up back at the dentist twice for the dry socket packing. But the taste was so horrific my nausea returned. On top of that I developed excruciating migraines. I was already on Motrin 800 penicillin and Norco 7.5. None of which effected  my headache. I returned to the dentist on day 8 who aggressively cleaned, rinsed and suctioned my dry socket and loosened tooth in front. She even sanded down the bone splinters. It's day ten abd I am still with sleepless nights, headaches, nausea, and mouth pain. Although slowly subsiding it would still be unbearable without meds. So far I have not killed myself but I curse the day that I had my teeth extracted. If you are as old as I (45) and it is not an absolute medical necessity DO NOT ELECT TO HAVE YOUR WISDOM TEETH PULLED.