Dental Health Community
Dry Socket

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Dry Socket

I posted a question on July 1. Since that time, the pain within the dry socket has progessivlely gotten more tolerable. Now I am having discomfort in the gum area surrounding the socket. I can visibly see that the socket is starting to look smaller.  I went to a followup appoinment with my oral surgeon a few days ago and he said that the socket was healing very well and that the tenderness and inflamation (inflammation) was part of the normal healing process and I have no infection.   Has anyone who has experienced a dry socket had this occur during the healing process?  It seems as if a dry socket goes through various stages of healing.

If JoTown is out there, please let me hear from you. You were so helpful to me.
Avatar n tn
JoTown, your comments were so helpful to me.  Since our condition seemed to run paralle, would like to know if you experienced these same symtoms (symptoms).
Thanks,
Veronica
I had 4 wisdom teeth extracted on April 16th. Had I known the pain I would be in I would have just had filings instead of extracting. It took the dentist 3 1/2 hours to extract my erupted teeth. Maybe for my age they were just difficult to pull. I had to be numbed numerous times. By the 3rd day after I was NOT eating or drinking and severely nauseous. Do to dry heaving I ended up with a dry socket.  By day five the pain was so severe that I was suicidal. On top of that I had"bone splinters"looking out of the roof of my mouth. Within 6 days I had lost 7 pounds. I ended up back at the dentist twice for the dry socket packing. But the taste was so horrific my nausea returned. On top of that I developed excruciating migraines. I was already on Motrin 800 penicillin and Norco 7.5. None of which effected  my headache. I returned to the dentist on day 8 who aggressively cleaned, rinsed and suctioned my dry socket and loosened tooth in front. She even sanded down the bone splinters. It's day ten abd I am still with sleepless nights, headaches, nausea, and mouth pain. Although slowly subsiding it would still be unbearable without meds. So far I have not killed myself but I curse the day that I had my teeth extracted. If you are as old as I (45) and it is not an absolute medical necessity DO NOT ELECT TO HAVE YOUR WISDOM TEETH PULLED.