Dental Health Expert Forum
Dry Socket

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Dry Socket

I had a tooth a extracted 2 wks a go.I ended up back at the dentist after 2 days with dry socket and an infection.He gave me 5 days antibiotcs,and I have been going back to the dentist since.The one time he put a dressing in but said because it was a small hole it was worth it.He said there is pieces a bone making the way to the top and will make their way out them selfs.Is this true?  I've been salt water rinsing loads he said I only need to do it 4 times a day.  I go on hols in 2 wks times which will be a month. I'm concered I will still be salt water rinsing then.  He said today it is pink and healing and I need to go back in 2wks time.  Because it is bank holiday here he's given me a prescription to keep on one side just in-case it flares up again, but not to get it unless it does.  How long does it take to heal?   It's 2wks today since extraction?  My other qestion was I said I hadn't had alcohol for 2 wks could I have it with dry socket?  He said I could it wouldn't make any difference unless I have to take antibiotics.Is this true?  I followed all the rules i don't smoke.
It can take several months to completely heal depending on the difficulty of the extraction.  The pieces of bone will make their way out on their own.  That is true.

I would probably avoid the alcohol if possible just in case but at two weeks and no symptoms, you should be okay.