Dental Health Expert Forum
Dry Sockets

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Dry Sockets

I had my wisdom teeth removed a week ago and i kept taking pain medicine every 4-5 hours and the pain would go away for a while but always come back. I was taking two different pain meds to take the pain away and my doctor told me that it was not a dry socket because the meds would help the pain. so after five days and taking 27 800 milligram ibpropens and at least that many darvasets i went into the doc and he told me it might be a dry socket so he put the meds on. The meds keep coming out after about 12 hours and then the pain comes backafter about 8. Should i keep going back to the doctor or what? I feel like a complete and udder idiot and a wuss when i keep talking to the doc.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I dress dry sockets for three or four days in a row. I have found that this works best for my patients. I think you should return to your dentist until you are feeling better.
is he an oral surgeon?? dry sockets sometimes need to be curretted to restart bleeding so the clot can form correctly--- do not smoke.
yeah he is an oral surgeon....
again, sometimes the socket needs to be curretted to restart clot formation. ask him about that.
27 Darvocets in 5 days is a lot.  They contain Tylenol.  Do not exceed 4000 gms of Tylenol/day, 2000 gms/day if you drink or have any liver disease at all.

Ibuprofen dose should not exceed 800mg/3 times a day.  It is also potentially toxic to the liver and kidneys.
Hi. I don't know if you have read my recent postings but I had dry socket and was in agony for just under 5 weeks! I had the socket dressed every other day until the pain subsided. I felt such an idiot going backward to forwards but it was the only pain relief that worked! I took a variety of different "pain relief" tablets but nothing worked for me. In the end I got myself some clove oil from the chemist, put some on a cotton bud and gently soaked my socket and that really worked! When it wore off I simply did it again, and again.....! I didn't smell real good but the relief was most welcome!! I hope yours resolves itself soon but don't feel bad keep going back for packing! I have had two children and suffered many different sorts of pain (including appendix pain for 6 months before it was taken out!) but have never experienced the pain caused by my dry socket - and with a bit of luck will never experience it again!!
Hi Everyone, I have been reading your postings regarding the packing of dry sockets.  Just be careful.  I had been experiencing pain for 2 months post my wisdoms being extracted.  I had already been through the dry socket ordeal and survived.  However, I constantly had pain in the area where I had the dry socket (lower bottom, right wisdom).  I started having really bad dizzy spells and could not get a bad taste out of my mouth and I was having really bad headaches.  I tried using a water pick to get what I thought was debris out of the extraction site (becuase I thought it might be causing the bad taste.).  Well, the dizziness had gotten really bad and someone suggested it could be dental related.  I went to my dentist that day (I had nearly fallen over 3 times that day).  It turns out that packing from my dry socket (2 months earlier), had never been removed.   At first the dentist thought it was a food particle, but as he pulled it out, he realized differently.  It was the size of a very large marble.  It smelled really bad (I am surprised my boyfriend had continued to kiss me these past months).  The dentist did not think that the dizziness was related, but I disagree (since it has ceased completely).  In fact, I feel like a million bucks.  I thought my eyes were not focusing and I looked tired all the time because I am getting older.  But it is not the case, I can see straight again, the bags are gone from under my eyes and I look normal again.  It sucks to be on antibiotics again, but better safe than sorry.  So here is the question:  Was that 2 month old packing killing me slowly?
Wow, I think the dentist should tell you exactly what they are doing. I went in for my dry socket and my dentist said I'm going to pack the it with dry socket paste and don't return until I have pain. I didn't know it was a medicated guaze stuffed in it until I went back to the dentist for a check up. They pulled it out and I was shocked. I was thinking what the hell. What if I had no more pain and it healed inside, I know now!