Dental Health Community
Dry socket and medicated dressing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Dry socket and medicated dressing

I had one of my lower teeth removed (not wisdom) 4 days ago and it developed a dry socket 2 days ago. I went in and they put the medicated dressing in and it helped a lot. I still have pain if I don't take the pain medicine on the 4 hour mark but it's not as bad as it was on the first day I got the dry socket. I have to go back in tomorrow to get the dressing changed but I am scared to death to do it. They gave me 2 numbing shots last time and it hurt like no other because my cheek was still swollen and sore. It actually made me cry. Will they do the numbing shot again? Which do you think hurts worse- the numbing shots or getting the dressing put in and feeling it? I know I'm suppose to get the dressing changed everyday so does it get less painful with each day? Since going through this I have developed a huge phobia of dentists! I can't wait for this to be over. Please if you have any information I would love to hear it so I can be prepared and not surprised by the pain. Thank you!
hi. i am a dental assistant so i know what youre going thru. at my place we dont numb anyone to place the dry socket packing. it doesnt hurt that much, the rinsing is the worst part and that only takes a sec. also is the dentist charging you everytime you get the dressing changed? we only place it once and the pain goes away in 30 min. getting the dressing changed can actually cause the bone to be irritated again. you can try asking him for a medrol dose pack. its a mild steriod but great for pain and inflamation (inflammation). good luck. and dont pay for that dry socket dressing more than once. hes ripping you off.