Dental Health Expert Forum
Dry socket-how long will the pain last?

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Dry socket-how long will the pain last?

I had my widson tooth pulled on Tuesday of last week.  The staff FORGOT to give me my antibiotics script.  The following day the medication was taken.  On Saturday the pain was too much to stand so I called the doctor and he advised me to come in.  He then proceeded to apply a dressing to the "wound." (Although he stated the wound did heal very good)
The doctor said I would e in pain for Saturday and Sunday.  Okay, call me impatient but today is Monday and I am still experiencing pain.  How much longer after the dressing is applied will the pain last? Or when will the pain from the dry socket overall subside?
If it is dry socket, the dressing may need to be placed almost daily to help with the pain.  What pain medications are you on right now?