Dental Health Expert Forum
Dry socket infection and chronic headaches

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Hi all I had a tooth extracted over a wk ago and have been back to dentist 3 times so far, they say could go on for wks possibly and kp putting gauze in with an aneasthetic on it to help. Of course it is Christmas and i said it would be closed but they said i am classed as an 'Emergency' so can go back as many times as need to. I have quite a tolerence to pain even as a woman lol, but it is more the headache and feeling quite yucky that is bothering me more. I can feel in my ear aswell. I have been taking 600mg of Ibuprofen but now feel i am immune to them, so need anything else that can be recommended.
Where the extraction has been taken out on the inside of the roo of my mouth i can tell it is swollen as feels different to the other side of my mouth and if i touch with my tongue that also shoots to my head!
Thanks guys
Dry socket is a fairly hard problem to deal with since there isn't a "cure" to fix it.  Rather, it requires patient and a chance for the body to naturally heal and to manage the symptoms of pain and discomfort during that time.  You may just need to keep repacking the socket and babying the area as much as you can.  Were antibiotics prescribed as well?  Swelling can be a sign of an infection.  Also, you can post this question in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery section and ask the oral surgeon there if there are any other options available to you.  Also, you may want to ask for a different prescription for something stronger for the pain.