Dental Health Expert Forum
Dry socket

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Dry socket

I had 7 teeth extracted on Tuesday with general anasthetic. When I came around the Doctor advised that they had some problems removing one of the wisdom teeth, and said I now had a dry socket.
She didn't really explain it well, can anyone explain what a dry socket is? Also, I am in a lot of pain, when will this ease off?
Thank you x
Yes, a dry socket is due to the lack of a blood clot in the socket for whatever reason.  A blood clot is needed to begin the normal healing process.  I'm not sure how your doctor could diagnose a dry socket immediately after the extraction.  Did he/she diagnose it later than that?  

They can place dry socket paste into the socket to help alleviate the symptoms.  Otherwise, you have to wait for the healing to continue and cover up the socket and protect the bone.
Hi.  I think Dr Tsang explained it really well in a previous post to another member.

He said, "Dry socket generally occurs due to the lack of or dislodgement of a blood clot in the extraction socket.  This exposure of the jawbone results in the inflammation of the jawbone and that's how you get pain in the area".

If you have a dry socket I would strongly recommend you visit your dentist.  A dentist can pack it which greatly reduces the pain.
Without treatment I expect the pain would ease once the area covered over.  =(

If you would like to read other members posts, and the doctor's response, on dry sockets you could try typing dry socket into the forum search bar.

Don't try to tough the pain out.  Talk to your dentist and get it treated.
Thank you! I was confused after reading up online, people having packing etc etc. She definately said it was a dry socket & that I would have a lot of blood (which has stopped now) but that the pain would last a few days.
I might go back in today but I didn't want to waste their time if it was just 'normal' healing time. I can't wait to be pain free! X
Well, if it really does bother you, I would consider going in to make sure everything is ok.  Or at least give them a call and let them know and see if you should go in.  
Thank you Dr, I will do that just to be sure x
Doctor, can I also ask one more thing? I am due to be flying on a business trip on Friday, do you think this will be ok? I am just a bit worried about the pressure in the air.
I am going to see my Doctor on Wednesday, just wondered what your opinion would be?
Thanks again x
I've had someone asked me that before in the forum.  I'm pretty sure it'll be okay.  Your doctor may want to place some socket paste to cover it up.