Dental Health Expert Forum
Dry tongue with red and white spots

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Dry tongue with red and white spots

My friend has this weird burning sensation on his tongue. He also has white patches with a very bright red undercoating. He has dry mouth including tongue and has problems eating. He is constantly up every 5-10 minutes to get a drink to try and coat his tongue. Any suggestions on what this actually could be??
Avatar dr m tn
I tyhink you need to find out why there is this lack of saliva flow. I do not know how old your friend is but it is obviously not normal to have to wake up in the middle of the night to wet your whistle so to speak. I would suggest that you see an oral surgeon for a diagnosis.
Avatar n tn
With the comments of the white patches and red undercoating, it almost sounds like he possibly has thrush, which is a yeast infection of the mouth.  That could also explain the burning sensation.  He can see a doctor or a dentist to confirm the diagnosis, and at least it is cureable.
Avatar n tn
A related discussion, dry tongue tip was started.