Dental Health Community
Dull, throbbing/achy toothache - Is this serious?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

I have had various dental issues over the years (lots of fillings) and I have gone without dental insurance until now. Recently, I finally returned to the dentist after 2 years and I have a lot of work that needs to be done on my mouth. I have several cavities, and I have been dealing with gingivitis for a while.

However, today, my upper-left side of my mouth started to ache. It is a mild, dull, constant ache, that throbs sometimes. It seems to be sensitive to cold foods. It is now the weekend, and there are no dentist offices open within 20-30 miles from here.

My questions are A) should I see a MD to be treated until my appointment Monday and B) should I attempt to drive out of town to see the dentist or can I wait until Monday morning to get treated?
The amount of pain determines if you can wait until Monday. But you risk having an infection brewing and you want to nip this in the bud ASAP.  If you have no fever or swelling and can take the pain, you should be okay until Monday.