Dental Health Expert Forum
Dull Pain

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Dull Pain

About 4 weeks ago I had a canker sore show up in the back of my mouth and then some red spots on the roof of my mouth.  I had some general mouth pain under the tongue and even one of the glands (I think it's a salivary gland) on the bottom side of my tongue became very painful.  I didn't feel sick, but went to my primary doctor anyway.  He basically said it was nothing and it should go away.

Now, 4 weeks later my mouth is dry, sometimes my tongue feels like it's going to stick to the floor of my mouth.  the last couple of days I've had a dull pain on the left side of my mouth.  I could narrow it down to a couple of teeth, one on top and one on the bottom.  It doesn't hurt when I bite down, just a dull pain.  Today it seems more constant, but I've been taking ibuprophen to help with the pain.  My gums don't look red or swollen, however, my cheek seems like it might be a little swollen.

Could this be an issue with a tooth?  Even if I'm having just a general pain that I can't pin point between the top or bottom?  Or does it sound more like a sinus issue (I have a very slight drainage, but my nose is clear)?

Any other possibilities?
It could be either a sinus infection or a tooth infection.  Unfortunately the sinus and roots of the teeth are close in proximity and can give you just a generalized feeling of pain.  My initial guess is that its a sinus infection but I would still recommend going to a dentist to rule out an abscess in case.