Dental Health Expert Forum
Dull headache, lethargy, unsteadiness post extraction

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

I had tooth number 14 (upper molar) extracted by an oral surgeon 6 days ago. Roots were very deep, the tooth had broken and was not savable because of the extent of decay that had grown under the old filling. One of the roots had grown up into the sinus, and the oral surgeon told me there was a tiny pinhole into the sinus. He gave me very specific instructions on post care for such a scenario, but he said he did not anticipate any complications if I followed all instructions. Well, I followed them as best I could, but I ended up accidentally sucking out the gelfoam packing a couple of days ago. The staff told me it was OK if it came out, just to be careful to maintain the clot. I haven't had any Sx of dry socket. However, today I have been feeling very lethargic, kind of unsteady on my feet, and I have a dull headache all around the back of my head all the way up to the top of my head. No fever, no chills, no nausea or vomiting. The pain has been pretty manageable with just a couple of ibuprofen. Sometimes, though, when I swallow I get a real sharp, sore pain in the extraction area. I thought it odd that he didn't write me a prescription for any antibiotics, but there are not many I can take, so maybe he was hoping not to need them. Should I call him about these symptoms? I've already called him 3 times about different problems! (I'm a bit anxious about it.) I went to my local walk-in clinic today and had an x-ray of my head and sinuses (not a CT) because I was worried maybe I was getting a sinus infection, and they were all clear. However, the doctor said sometimes there can be a deeper infection that can only be seen with a CT. So now I'm worried there could be something deeper within that wasn't seen on the regular x-ray that's causing these symptoms. Is it possible there could be a deeper abscess that couldn't be seen? Should I take an antibiotic?
I would recommend calling again and finding out just in case.

Based upon your description it does sound like you're getting somewhat sick but it doesn't sound like a dental infection to me.

What did the walk-in clinic say besides a possibly deeper infection?