Dental Health Expert Forum
Duration of Bone Spurs following extraction

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

My husband had his first extraction, a wisdom tooth, in Mid-August.  It was the lower right wisdom tooth.  Nearly two months later, he continues to have bothersome bone spurs. On average, how long should one continue to experience bone spurs?  The cavity left behind by the tooth is filling in nicely but it was a rather difficult extraction.  Is there a point where we should say 'enough is enough' and re-visit the oral surgeon? His assistant tells us that all spurs will work themselves out in time.  I've had extractions, but never spurs, so this is all new to us.  Thank you for your time.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
If you are talking about bone spicules then it is possible that it can take awhile for them(if there is them) to surface. An x-ray might indicate if there are any more present.Usually there may be one or two, and it is difficult to determine how long it takes to surface.
1 Comment
A related discussion, Bonespur was started.