Dental Health Expert Forum
Ear pain 1 week after root canal

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Ear pain 1 week after root canal
One week after a root canal and a dose of antibotics, it's 2 days before Christmas and everytime I bite down I get a sharp shooting pain in my ear and up my jaw. But only if I chew on that side.
Several months ago my dentist put on a crown and it continued to hurt so last week he drilled thru the crown. The bite does not feel off. Could there be an infection in the bone that is causing this pain because I waited so long for the root canal?
Thanks so much!
Melpod
Its possible that may have occurred.  Was the root canal completed or did the doctor open the tooth up and remove the infection and place medication in it?  
He did open the tooth and put medication in it, and I ended up having to wait 2 weeks to get it filled because my 3 little ones came down with strep throat.
Ok. So the root canal is completed.  I would go back to your dentist to let them know that maybe the bite may be off still.