Ear pain after Wisdom Tooth Extraction
Hello...I am a 33 yr. old healthy female. On Tuesday, I had my upper left wisdom tooth removed due to a cavity/decay.

This morning, I woke up around 6 a.m. with mild ear pain. As the day progessed, the ear pain became a little worse. I called my dentist and he had me come in to see if I had the beginning of a "dry socket."

The dentist said that he could see the blod clot in the socket, but it was not formed as well as it probably should be formed. He packed my socket with something that looked like dirt and tasted terrible. He said it was a root that provides healing for dry sockets. I've never heard of such a thing, but he said it was approved by the ADA, etc.

The packing of the socket has not helped with the ear ache. My ear feels hot inside and I have stabbing pains that shoot through my ear. I am worried that I have some type of infection from the pulling of the tooth and I'm extremely scared right now this will not get better. The dentist did not put me on any antibiotics at this time.

The dentist told me that the gums around the extraction site look very good and everything looks to be healing normally. It is important to mention that the wisdom tooth was in straight and not impacted and came out very quickly. I could, however, hear a noticeable poppiong noise when the tooth was extracted in my left ear.

Does anyone have any ideas what this might be related to?
If you are in that much pain, you should go to the doctors. If there was an infection in your tooth, it could have gotten into your ears. Oddly enough that whole area, including the nasal passages are connected some how.
You could have also had an infection prior to having your wisdom teeth being pulled and it is just getting worse.
I got my wisdom teeth removed 2 weeks ago. The majority of the mouth/gum pain has gone away at this point, but now I have an unyielding earache. It feels like an infection but it my ears look normal on exam. I have briefly read through a couple of internet sites and this appears to be not too uncommon. I havent heard a convincing mechanism yet - and most explanations seem to bring up something about muscle spasm. Apparently hot water compresses on the ear and cheek work, dont know yet, I will try that when I get home tonight. Hopefully this wont last too long.
roni622 - me too. it's approaching the two week mark and i am experiencing pain only on the left side, and in my left ear. i'm really glad i'm not the only one! i saw the dental surgeon on friday and she said i'm healing well and everything is normal, and then on saturday the ear pain started up.... did the hot compresses help?
most likely there has been some stretching, or derangement of the muscles that move the jaw, or the tissues of the TMJ.  There was probably some pre existing damage in the joint which was exacerbated by opening for the extraction and the forces  on the jaw.
I realize this was a long time ago but for people who still look it up for advice I just wanted to say earache after this procedure is pretty normal. On the care sheet they gave me after my surgery it says it's a side effect. I had mine out over a week ago and still have such a bad ear ache. Had a check up with my surgeon couple days ago and he said it's fine and no infection. As for relieving the pain heat DOES work. For me it does at least. Ibuprofen and my heating pad have become my best friends. If you're really concerned just call up your office and ask them about it, they'll know.
Today I got my right lower back tooth pulled an my ear started hurting as if I had really hot water r inning through it an it burns an pounding I keep tichting an it feel like ther a hole in my thort an my echolibum in off.what do I need to do