Dental Health Expert Forum
Ear pain/fullness jaw pain headaches

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Ear pain/fullness jaw pain headaches

Hi I was wondering if I have TMJ.
My symptoms are:
Ear fullness/pain/some ringing on right side
Headaches that are localized to the right side
Pain behind right eye
Jaw pain
Teeth grinding at night
Neck pain/stiffness

I have always ground my teeth but have never had these symptoms until about a month ago.  I haven't been wearing my mouth guard since my baby was born (he is 8 months and finally sleeping through the night).  I started wearing it and the symptoms got worse.  Does stress cause these?  I'm also worried about an aneursym or something cause the pain behind my eye and in my ear is awful and how could that be related to my jaw?  I had an MRI/MRA in Oct '06 but could an aneurysm grow since then?  Do you think it is TMJ?  My dentist is sending me to a TMJ specialist but I can't get in until March.  What should I do until then?  
Thank you so much!!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I am not an MD but if the MRI/MRA were negative I would suspect that you didn't have an aneursym, that being said I think you are headed to the right place by seeing the TMJ specialist. From the symptoms that you are expressing it does sound like some type of TMJ dysfunction. Stress is certainly a contributing factor in TMJ problems. It is easy to say try to relax but maybe with the baby sleeping better you will get more quality time.See if you can take some time just for yourself.
the problem may be dental (wisdom teeth impaction, for example), may be TMJ, or it may be a medical issue. may be stress, may also be musle tightness in the neck, which can refer pain to the head, shoulders, arms or almost anwhere. I know this doesn't help you, but it is not possible to diagnose over the internet. agan, it could be a myriad of things.
Has anyone else had the eye pain and the ear pain with TMJ?  I just got back from my GP and he said he thinks it is TMJ and stress.  It is so strange though.  It feels like an ear infection in my right ear but its perfectly healthy!  Has anyone else had this?  I'm starting to feel like I'm the only one.  Also the eye pain, not constant but annoying and intermittent.  Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  Should I have another MRI/MRA done or the one on Oct 31st is enough?

Thanks so much!!!!!!
I have had similar symptons for a few years, also to the right side.  My doctor(s) have diagnosed occiptial nerve pain, which can cause the type of pain you describe.  It can start anywhere from the base of the skull/neck area, and travel to the back of the eye.  It is a scary type of pain, that can make you feel as if you have a tumor or aneurysm.  I take neurontin, celebrex, and over the counter NSAIDs.  I find that a combination of heat and ice pack therapies along with pressure applied to the pain can help at times.  Also, heat does relieve the ear pain.  This can be a long and frustrating road, but ask your doctor if this could be a source of your problem.
You are not the only one... I had TMJ that I didn't even know about until my dentist told me by looking at my teeth that I had TMJ... No wonder the headaches, ear fullness, dizziness, etc... I saw a specialist at Cedars  Sinai Pain Center here in Los Angeles... Dr. Steven Graff-Radford... He prescribed Zanaflex... A very mild muscle relaxant to sleep... Over the course of a few weeks the pain started to subside and my jaw began to relax... Heat packs on my jaw to soothe the pain... He also suggested certain exercises to strengthen my neck and back muscles because they were weak from all the tension... I also did acupuncture... It also helped to calm and relax my muscles... Good luck!
You would be surprised at the number of pains your jaw can cause.  Neck and shoulder, ear, side of head, teeth, eye.  My dentist said to massage the jaw right where it connects back by your ear.  Also try to just let your mouth hang open for a bit.  Takes the stress off.  Thank god my jaw will crack after a certain point and that relieves the stress for some time.  If you can qualify for a bite guard through your dental plan, get one.  It will pretty much relieve all those problems.
Oh, yes, the Dr. had me open and close my mouth several times a day to keep it relaxed... I also wear a nightguard to sleep...
i have also been suffering with pain in my jaw, i have been grinding my teeth for over a year now which has casued pain and problems opening and closing my mouth. a  few days ago i found i could not even bite on my left side at all because of the pain. My jaw doesnt seem even,if i bite on my right side then the left doesnt meet and vice versa. This is causing pain inmy ear my head and my face in general, my doctor is rubbish they offered me anti-depressants for stress but i just dont know what else to do please help!
A related discussion, Ear generated headaches, noise was started.