Dental Health Expert Forum
Eating with immediate dentures

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Eating with immediate dentures

About how long after being fitted with immediate upper dentures is it before you can eat meat and other hard to chew foods?  I had immediate dentures put in a week and 1/2 ago.  I had 13 teeth removed, 12 from the top and 1 below. My gums have healed well and my bite is perfect, however I am experiencing a lot of movement with the dentures since the swelling has subsided.  I will be going in tomorrow for a soft reline and I am hoping this will allow me to eat better.  What is your experience with this?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I think you are pretty much on target. There will be a considerate amount of shrinkage of the tissue with that amount of teeth being extracted. i think the relining will help but do expect a series of relinings. I do not know if another denture is going to be fabricated after the healing. In my office a second or more long lasting denture is made.
I just got a new set of uppers about 2 weeks ago, and mine are too loose to eat with unless I use an adhesive. I can use some fixodent powder (easy clean-up)which holds the denture in tightly and enables me to chew food with no problem. You have to be carefull to keep the adhesive away from any areas that haven't healed yet. I am going in next monday for a soft reline which should snug 'em up according to my dentist. Gums will continue to shrink for some time affecting the way your dentures fit. Good luck, I'm sure things will improve with time.
SeanS and cavity queen- I think the soft reline will definately help. Your bone and gum tissue will change drastically in the next few months. Possibly requiring several relines. cavity queen- You should definately inquire with your dentist if you will be getting a definative denture once he feels like you have healed about as much as you are going to. You will be much happier with a better denture that is custom made to your gums and bone structure. If your finances will allow you should inquire about having implants placed. They are very exspensive, but they are like having real teeth. They help hold in your denture and they keep your bone in good shape. You can have an over-denture made that will snap onto the implants and sometimes an implant bar. Atleast get the information before you have a definative denture made. Over time of wearing a denture it wears your bone away and this will only make the fit harder and harder to keep. Make sure you remove your dentures every night and place in water so that your gums and bone can have a rest. This also helps keep the bone at a good level to help with better fits of dentures. Good-luck!
Im at my 2 month mark and I saw my dentist yesterday, I told her I ate my first steak.  You should have seen her face!!! She went OFF, she told me I shouldn't be eating anything that difficult until I get my perms.  She wants me on SOFT foods for 6 months.  She called me a CRAZY WOMAN and walked away!!!!

I really cannot wait until I get my perms and be done with this group of incompetant fools!!!!
Um, why does she not want you to eat good food??  If you are comfortable what's the problem-o?????????????
A related discussion, Food Tips was started.
A related discussion, Just had immediates fitted... was started.
A related discussion, first  time full dentures was started.