Dental Health Expert Forum
Essix Retainers

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Essix Retainers
I went to the dentist for a routine cleaning/check up last week. At the end of my exam my dentist told me he'd like me to start wearing an essix retainer on my lower teeth. My question is what is an essix retainer, and why do I need to be wearing an essix(?) retainer? I am 25 years old, and have never worn braces or a retainer before, so I am unclear as to why I would need to wear one now. Any information is appreciated.
An essix retainer is basically a clear retainer custom fir to your teeth.  I'm not sure why your dentist would like you to wear the appliance.  Possbly for grinding or for preventing any further movement of your teeth.  You should ask your dentist why he'd like you to wear this appliance.