Dental Health Expert Forum
Eustachian Tube Dysfunction and TMJ

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Eustachian Tube Dysfunction and TMJ

6 weeks ago I suffered a minor head injury while playing Laser Tag with my children, running up a platform I smacked the top of my head on a beam, I immediately had a headache and felt achy all over. A week later I started to have sinus issues with fullness in my ears and phantom ringing and strange noises. I visited my family doctor who said my sinuses were irritated and prescribed, Astalene. This worked for a week. He then referred me to ENT.

My ENT diagnosed me with Tinnitus and Eustachian tube dysfunction. He poked a hole in my ear drum; but the fullness disappeared for only 2 days. He then inserted tubes, they have done nothing. He then scheduled an MRI, it showed nothing. He has said there is nothing else he can do.

I then went to the dentist and they took bite x-rays when I looked at the x-rays I inquired on why one side had a sinus hole and one did not, the dentist mentioned that the left side of my sinus cavity was inflamed, after my exam she stated that I was probably suffering from TMJ.

I then made an appointment with a TMJ specialist at my dental office, he determined that because of the injury my minor TMJ issues, which before only consisted of night time teeth grinding and clenching have escalated drastically and my bite has shifted causing me to have a dislocated jaw where my bones are grinding together, causing severe ear issues. I hear clicking, grinding and crunching in my left ear whenever I eat, yawn or do any jaw movement. I have constant ear fullness that never goes away and everything is muffed. I have suffered some hearing loss. I have a constant headache and left ear and jaw pain. I need to have TMJ treatment but my dental insurance does not cover it.
Is there a doctor that specializes in both issues, ETD and TMJ so that I do not have to keep going back and forth. And is there a way to get insurances to cover this since it a medical condition and not comsetic?
I'm not aware of any particular doctor who treats both ETD and TMJ.  You may want to find two doctors who are willing to communicate and simultaneously manage your particular condition.

As for insurance, you will need to discuss this with your insurance company.