Dental Health Expert Forum
Extraction & sinus lift for #14

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Extraction & sinus lift for #14
Due to extension bone loss from periodontal disease it is recommended that #14 be extracted. I want to have an implant placed when possible. I was told that I need to have ridge augmentation done before a sinus lift is possible.
Why can't bone grafting, etc. and a sinus life be done when the tooth is extracted?
You should ask your dentist in regards to your particular case.  It may be that there is an abscess in the area and any other surgical procedure will have a hard time healing, resulting in a lower chance of success
There is no abscess in the area.
Is this the same person?  
Yes. Periodontal treatment was completed a year ago. There was not any bleeding on probing.
You may want to ask the oral surgeon in the Oral and maxillofacial Surgery section.  I don't do any sinus lifts or ridge augmentations so I'm not sure why they would wait unless they felt the chance of success was low.
Thanks for your response.