Dental Health Expert Forum
Extraction (possible dry socket)

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Extraction (possible dry socket)

Last Tuesday I had 4 extractions done, 3 wisdom and 1 molar. Anyways i'm pretty sure i have a dry socket I haven't slept in two days and I have a nasty taste in the mouth. Its killing me, it like a throbbing pain and it doesn't go away its constant. Its like I can feel my heart beat in my gums, if that makes sense. Anyways I have a one month old and a five year old and its been really stressful trying to just deal with the pain and tending to them. I'm gonna try to get into to see my dentist tomorrow but was wondering if there is anything I can do to ease the pain and maybe get some sleep to night.
Are you taking any pain medications at all?  

Try rinsing the area with warm salt water.  Soft diet and proper hygiene may help remove some of the bad taste but with pain, the medication would help the most.
I was taking pain medications but i took them all and was still hurting. I got in to see my dentist this morning and she confirmed it was a dry socket. She packed it with some stuff and the pain has eased up. Told me to come back in a couple of days if it starts bothering me again. Thank you for helping me though.
Yes, you may need to repack the socket a few more times.  Healing times vary but basically take good care of the socket and allow it to heal.