Dental Health Expert Forum
Extreme Pain on Tooth Under Temp. Crown

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Extreme Pain on Tooth Under Temp. Crown

I'm having some serious pain on the temporary crown I had put on about 4 days ago. It was put on my left upper incisor. I chipped the tooth basically in half about 6 weeks ago and a previous dentist made 2 attempts to bond it, but they never stayed. I never experienced any pain after the bondings, only with this temporary crown.

I'm not senstive to cold or hot, and as a matter of fact cold water helps a lot!! The pain is so bad that I can barely touch the crowned tooth because it hurts so much. The dentist that put it on said he doesnt think I'll need a root canal. I was also experience extensive jaw pain the last few days, but that's basically subsided and now the pain is centralized on this tooth. Any help on what the issue could be would be greatly appreciated as well as any pain reduction remedies until I can get back to the dentist.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I would suggest that you do need a root canal. Usually the fact that cold allievates the pain means that there are gases in the canal of the tooth that contract with the cold which reduces the pain.I would want the nerve checked for its vitality.
i think the pulp (nerve) in the tooth is probably inflamed. the other possiblility is that the temporary fits poorly and is "leaky". if it hrts all the time, it is provbably the nerve and may indeed need root canal, which is a pretty simple procedure on a lateral incisor. a good operator can do it to completion if not infection is present in about 15 minutes.
Okay, thanks for your help.  I have a really bad feeling it's infected though because it has gotten much much worse the last 2 days.  My entire cheek is now swollen and it's just a constant constant pain.  I've been putting ice on it all day and it's really not doing much.

What are the implications if the tooth if, in fact, infected??
the implication is that it will need root canal treatment. this removes the source of the infection. do not wait. if the swelling is from the tooth (and it sounds like it is) the tooth needs to be opened, the infected nerve tissue removed, the infection allowed to drain (the tooth in my opinion should be left open for a time) and you need to be placed on antibiotics. you are swollen becasue the infection has no where to go. see the dentist asap---I'd call and insist to be seen tomorrow even though it is Easter. It only takes 5 minutes to open the tooth, remove the nerve, establish drainange and give you a script for antibiotics. you'll feel immediate relief most likely when the tooth is opened. You probably will not even need novocaine as it sonds like the nerve is dead anyway..............