Dental Health Community
Extreme jaw pain 2 weeks after gum grafting surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

I had gum grafting surgery 2 weeks ago, and although most paitents are back to work or school the next day, I had several problems. For the first 4 days after surgery, my face swelled up like a balloon!  I had bruising around my jowls and under my eyes from the swelling.  When the doctor took out the packing, the swelling went down quickly, but then the jaw pain started.  I was having a lot of pain around in the area of the gums but also in my jaw on one side.  Stranger still, I had only had the surgery on the top but the jaw pain is on the top and bottom.  When i reported this to my doctor he prescribed an antibiodic and vicoden for the pain.  He told me to call back if the pain was not completely gone.  I called back in a couple of days and reported that my gums felt better (but not great), but the pain in my jaw was unbearable.  He just prescribed more vicoden and told me that some people take longer to heal.  It has been two weeks and I am really getting concerned.  Is this part of the healing process or should I seek medical treatment from someone else?  If so, who?  Thanks for any advice you can give me.