Dental Health Community
Eye and face swelling after crown

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Eye and face swelling after crown

Today I went to the dentist and he put a crown on my back tooth (upper right side).  It was previously filled with quite a bit filling so it required a crown rather than being refilled.  At one point right before putting the impression in my mouth they blew the air to dry it and I distinctly felt the air run up through my cheek and under my eye.  I sat with the impression in thinking it was such an odd sensation but woudl just ask him when the impression plate was removed.  After the plate was removed I asked and the assistant noticed some swelling and called him in.  He couldn't figure it out and said it might be allergic reaction. (however I've never had this problem and have had multiple crowns).   The assistant got in to blow the air in again to place the temporary crown and I felt the very same distinct feeling of the air running up the front of my cheek and the swelling got worse.  He came back in and he was just baffled.  He prescribed some antibiotic and pain killers thinking he may have pushed to hard causing a bit of nerve damage.  I have read some of the other posts and I have the same feeling of being able to push the air under my skin and hear the bubbles under the skin as well as see the air pockets around my eye socket.  My ear is now also muffled and I'm assuming that may also be some air in it somewhere.  I'm ok with this if this is going to pass and work it's way out of my system.  My worrry is that for the next 24 or 48 hours am I in danger of the air travelling to my blood stream and to my brain?  
Your descriptions suggest air emboli entrapped within soft tissue. The condition is rare, but it does happen occasilally. There is no treatment indicated. The swelling tends to subside within 24-72 hours.