Dental Health Community
Failed Root Canal
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Failed Root Canal

I had a root canal done on my Upper Right 1st Molar (#14 I think) about 5 years ago. Sometime in June or July 2007 the root canal developed some infection that caused me a lot of pain. I saw my dentist who prescribed penicillin. When this did not work I saw my primary physician who prescribed a different antibiotic and and stronger pain killers that stopped the pain and infection (or so I thought). This past March (2008) the tooth flared-up again. I saw a different dentist (my dentist was on vacation) who diagnosed a failed root canal (and suggested an apico). 2 days later, following his referral I saw an Oral Surgeon who examined me and prescribed antibiotics. He suggested extraction instead of an "apico" because as he explained, it may not work and I would be back to square one. Two weeks after this I saw my primary dentist (the one who did the RCT) . Although x-rays showed some infection in the tissue, since I had no pain he did nothing and asked me to come back if i felt any pain.

Since then I have had no pain but about three weeks ago I felt a lesion on the gum near the offending root canal. I pricked it with a needle and it oozed some bloody stuff. After draining and cleaning it out and rinsing with Listerine I did not think much of it again until a few days later (about a week) when I noticed that the lesion had formed once again. I repeated the pricking and cleaning. I also examined the area with my finger and noticed that there is some hard growth emerging underneath the gum, towards the cheekbone area. I still don't have pain but I feel some tenderness on the right side of my face around the area where the upper-lip ends and the cheekbone begins. That has gotten me very worried especially after reading others' case histories on the web and in this forum. I have an appointment coming up to see my dentist on 12/16/2008. What are some of the questions I should be asking him? Shouldn't he have anticipated these developments?  Should I be looking for a new dentist?