Dental Health Community
Feedback please :)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Feedback please :)

Not sure if we have a leg to stand on... I went to a local dentist here in Airdrie for a check up. I had not been to a dentist for about 3 years because I had no coverages and financially unable to go.  They did the necessary xrays and examination.  Upon examination, they noted some discoloration on the floor of my mouth that raised concern. They sent me to an oral surgeon wherein surgery and removal of this discoloration was performed and sent for a biopsy. We waited and waited to get the results (initially told 10 days).. I ended up calling for results and they had them, but they did not call.  It was benign but because they couldn't call to even tell me that, added a lot of distress.  ANYWAYS thats not the issue.

After all this, and the work that still needed to be done, I chose to have all of my top teeth pulled and have dentures put in.  I did however to go back to the family dentist I had in Calgary. He called the dental clinic in Airdrie for my xrays to be sent to him for review. I was there when they arrived.  Went on with my plans to have the teeth removed and the new teeth ready to go for extraction. This was to be done on April 25, 2013.  The the night of April 23, my dentist in Calgary called me to advise that he was reviewing my xrays for the impending extraction, and he noticed something abnormal on the xrays that were provided to him, on the palette of my mouth.  He then, on his own time, forwarded these xrays to an oral surgeon in Calgary for his thoughts..next thing I know my extraction appointment was cancelled and off to the surgeon I went.  They did another set of xrays --- and was indeed confirmed there was an abnormality.. I could even see it on the original xrays and I don't have a trained eye.  An bone biopsy was then scheduled on April 30th, 2013.  On May 15th, I go back to this surgeon for hopefully the results.

What I have a problem with is the two different surgeries. if the initial dentist wasn't negligent, they would have seen the abnormality. (the 2nd surgeon was asked my me how this was missed.. and he just shook his head and said "i have no idea". Both these procedures could have been done in one sitting.  As you can imagine this has been highly stressful on my kids, by fiance my 70 year old mom, my surviving brother (my older brother died last year) and of course myself.  The pain and discomfort from the second surgery is beyond my pain tolerence... and now again the waiting for the results.  I had 7 stitches in the top of my mouth.  As I am an hourly employee, I lost 4 days of pay to boot!!!