Dental Health Expert Forum
Fever & Chills Post-Extraction

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Fever & Chills Post-Extraction

My father is 52 y/o and just had a dental extraction today and within 2 hours of the procedure, he began to have chills and then fever.  He is a diabetic.  He has been on Augmentin 875mg BID.  I called the dentist twice and she said she doesn't think this is related to the procedure, yet he wasn't sick prior to the procedure.  His primary physician stated that he should continue with the antibiotics and anti-pyretics.  I believe it is due to the procedure.  Should I take him to the ER?
How severe is the fever?  Are there any other symptoms?

It doesn't seem to be related directly to the extraction as infections normally take 2-3 days for symptoms to present but he may have had the infection start to become more severe several days ago prior to the extraction.  I would continue with the anti-pyretics and antibiotics and monitor his situation in the next few days.  The antibiotics would require about 2-3 days to begin to take full effect.  As long as his condition does not worsen, I would say going to the ER isn't necessary yet.