Dental Health Community
Fibroma on my Tongue
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Fibroma on my Tongue

I had a growth on my tongue for almost a year.  My dentist said I have a fibroma and an appointment was set up with an oral surgeon to have it removed.  My question:  What is involved with this type of surgery?  I was told my insurance would not allow me to be put to sleep, they only allow a local anesthetic.  Will it require stitches?  Also, will my tongue be sore after the surgery.

This discussion is related to spot on tongue.
Tags: fibroma
Related Discussions
11 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
it might need stitches depending on the size and location. of course your tongue will be sore since something is being cut off. it wont be unbearable and tongues usually heal quickly. you will probably be given a mild pain reliever to control the discomfort. it sounds like something that needs to be done and after a few days i am sure you will be happy you decided to get rid of it.
Blank
Local infiltration anesthesia is adequate . Post-op pain is minimal. Suture is requied for soft tissue surgery.
Blank
Thanks for the comments.  I appreciate it.  Needless to say, I'm worried but I do feel confident all will be ok.
Blank
Thanks for the comment.  You seem to know about these types of things.
Blank
BTW, the fibroma is located on the left side of the tongue and my dentist said that it isn't irritated or ulcerated.  As a matter of fact, it doesn't hurt at all.   HHHMMM, sure hope that remains to be the case.
Blank
dont worry! everything will be fine! make sure you come back after its all over and tell us how things went. good luck.
Blank
I sure will.  Surgery is scheduled for next Thursday.
Blank
My surgery was done and thank God it's over.  It was larger than I thought, and it did require two stitches.  Pain wasn't bad, Advil worked fine.  The stitches are dissolved and I have a follow up appointment on Thursday.  Hopefully pathology reports will be ok and this thing is behind me.  I do have quite a gorge in my tongue though.  I hope it heals a whole lot more.
Blank
good to hear all went well. sounds like it wasnt as bad as you were expecting.
Blank
Thanks!
Blank
I had a fibroma removed from the tip of my tongue on Thurs. with 3 stitches being taken.  I have had a lot of pain & it continues today. I didn't expect this procedure to be this painful.  Is this normal?  Am taking ibuprofen every 4 hrs.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dental Health Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...