Dental Health Expert Forum
Film in corners of lips and siliva buildup

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

For quite some time, I've had a few oral issues that have been of concern to me. Now, I do tend to be a worrier but figured it's never a bad thing to ask.

I have a fairly constant appearance of a white film/scum type substance show up mainly in the cormers of my lips. For the most part, I can feel when it is there or building up and go to a mirror and wipe or pick it off. I also tend to have a saliva problem in which smetimes I have an odd, chalky taste in my mouth and often tend to have a buildup of siliva when talking a lot.

I driak a lot of water and fluids. I used to have cuts in the corners of my mouth along with the film and my dentist said I might have chelitis. He gave me some samples of Biotene toothpaste and mouthmash and i've been using them ever since. The scum problem and taste did seem to lessen but has not gone away all together and is sometimes worse than others. And, it does seem the more stress I have, the worse these things are.

Any idea what could be wrong here? Is there anything major i should be worried about? Any info would be helpful.

If needed, I can provide details about anythign you may need like diet, personal history or whatever. You can also just look up some of my prior posts if you want to.

Are you wearing a denture or have loss of alot of your teeth?

Sometimes angular chelitis can be caused by a loss of dimension of the mouth and can cause folds in the corners of the lips that allows fungus to grow.  If it is, an antifungal cream can be beneficial and you may want to ask your dentist for a prescription.

Is it possible you're experiencing xerostomia (dry mouth)?  Is your saliva getting thick or is it not as much as you use to have and you constantly need to drink water to keep your mouth moist?  A good question is how difficult is it to eat a cracker without any water.  

There are tons of causes of dry mouth but most commonly it can be due to a side effect of a new medication.

I haven't started any new medications lately. The ones I take on a regluar basis are generic Claritin (without decongestant), Prozac, Flonaise (as needed) and suppliments including a digestive emzyme, acidophilous and vitamin B complex.

I do drink a lot of water and other things but it's not any real issue to eat a single cracker without having something to drink.

I do not wear dentures and have never lost an adult tooth. I did have thrush about 2 years ago and have acid reflux.

I have a dentist appointment Wednesday for a cleaning.

I'm basically wondering if this could be anything major to worry about.
I'm not 100% sure if its anything to worry about.  It doesn't sound too serious but it may not be a bad idea to bring it up with your dentist since he/she will be able to get a better look and refer you if there is any concern.