Dental Health Expert Forum
First time dentures

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

First time dentures

I received dentures for the first time 1 week ago. I had only 5 top teeth remaining all others were removed and have healed. Dentures did not fit. fell out. The place that I went to only makes dentures. I have been back 4 times in one week. The teeth don't even look like mine. He filed the top 4 down so they are all even with each other. At first the top looked too big, now to small. When I smile, all you see is pink. I keep telling him they are too loose. He says it is me and I need to get use to them. He said in a month or so I can get a new set. I just paid him for a new set. I am very very dissappointed with them. He says just use poligrip on them. Still does not help. The more he tries to fix, the worse they get. Everyone who sees me asks me what I did different. They say I look different.  I thought they were made to resemble my teeth. I know they wont be like my original teeth . Since my gums on back side are healed shouldnt they fit better even though my front need to heal? I dont know what to do any suggestions??????
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Immediate dentures can be a little tricky--the teeth that are placed on the denture is somewhat of an estimation of where they belong because the dentist doesn't have the option to try them in. I tell my patients that they will need another denture when the tissue heals after about 2 to 3 months. That is not to say that the transitional denture should not be relined and should be some what comfortable.It does not sound like this denture is doing the job it was made to do. I would insist that the denture be relined as is necessary. When he makes you the new one you will be able to see exactly what they will look like--hold in there.
I think the healing of the front teeth have to catch up with the healing of the back teeth.  When allis heled  you will see a difference when you get the perms.
A related discussion, immediate dentures was started.