Dental Health Expert Forum
Fixing a denture

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Fixing a denture

I posted a question previously concerning my midline on my denture being messed up. (2 front teeth off to the left).  Well I was very persistant and they said they would remake it.  I went in today and they took an impression with hard reline.  Now they are keeping my "bad" upper denture and I have to go a week or two without teeth.

My question is, is this normal procedure???  They are remaking my upper denture so why couldn't I keep the old one so I could continue to eat and have teeth?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Are you sure they are making a new denture or using the old denture and either resetting the teeth or using the teeth from the old denture. I am not sure I understand why they took an impression in the old denture.
At first he said he was going to reset them.  Then he said he was making an entirely new upper denture.  I have no idea what they are doing.  I've had nothing but problems with this place, from them screwing up my denture to them screwing up my insurance.
Hope38- I just saw your post today! I'm sorry! This sucks!!
It sounds like they are planning to remove the teeth on the old denture they 1st made you. The hard reline impression is just like the soft reline you had in the begining. It is just more permanent. It also sounds like they are fooling around with you. When I worked for a prosthodontist we never let a patient go without teeth unless absolutely neccessary!!! Most of the time we would have a patient come in and show is the complaint and then set up a series of appts. depending on what needed to be done and what the patient needed done. Most of the time we put pressure on our lab to pick it up early in the am and then drop it off finished at the end of the day. This is if the patient did not have another set of teeth they could wear. If they had another set they felt comfortable with we would set the new teeth in wax,in that area, and let the patient come back and try them and then set them in the acrylic if the patient is happy with it. I wish I had seen this earlier!! It sounds like the dentist office was trying to be a pain in the booty to try and "fix you" You know what I mean? I would grab the dentures when I went back and just try to find another dentist. I would not let them make your definative dentures. Or is this the set you are referring to? Let me know! Hey, do I need to call them and tell them I am your lawyer and I need to ask a few questions?!? LOL!!
Hi Funkynina!!!
Me and my husband are very unhappy with their lack of proffessionalism.  They made me a new upper denture, it looks 100% better, but it hurts like HECK.  They fixed it three times when I was in there, they had to take alot off the top and there was also a pointy piece in the palate that was sticking me.  When they came back to where I was sitting, before she put it back in my mouth, she said "If you need more things fixed on here your going to have to make another appt. we don't have any more time to keep adjusting these today. I have an appt Wednesday to have a soft reline. Well I can where them for maybe a half hour then I have to take them out and put my old upper in (yes they actually let me keep them).  

This place really messed up the insurance too....they told me their headquaters and my insurance provider will have to fix this and they will let me know as soon as they know.  They billed my insurance for a wisdom tooth they NEVER pulled!!!

I feel like I'm stuck, I still owe them money but they have 60% of it.  I'm not sure I can afford for someone else to make me another set.  

I think they do such a mass amount of dentures that they really don't care about anyone they work on.  

Thanks for listening me vent lol
Hope
Hope- I think I would just try to hang in there until everything got fixed. Atleast they know they have messed up the insurance and are willing to fix it. Those dental codes for stuff can be very confusing and they can also be one number or letter from the next one. So maybe they did make a mistake. I sure hope they can fix it so that you are comfortable. I would try to be super nice and just keep pushing in a pleasant way to get them fixed. I have always had a snappy personality. One of those people who get upset and let the manager know if there is no toilet paper in the girls bathroom. My husband on the other hand is a salesman and he could sell dirt to a farmer. He really knows how to kill people who make him mad with kindness inorder to get what he wants.Maybe you could bake them some muffins next time you go!!!! When the whole thing was said and done I would definately send them a heartfelt but to the point letter and let them know how disappointed I was and how you felt you where treated. Maybe it will make a difference and maybe it won't but atleast you will have gotten it off your chest!!! Love ya!nina
I manage a denture lab, and it's very uncommon for us to "hold onto" a patient's dentures while other procedures are being performed. If anything, we'll ask the doc to get an impression of the denture to compare tooth size, shape, etc. I'm sorry you're having a rough time.

Please...not sure who it was...please don't call the lab to "put pressure" on them. Truly, we work very hard to keep all of our clients happy. But, sometimes, we just can't rush your case. This is usually due to the abundance of other cases ahead of yours from other clients. That certainly doesn't mean you're not important, but we want to be sure ALL of our clients are treated equally and fairly. If we can do it, we'll do it for you in a heartbeat...but, the "pressure" calls add up.